5 meat workers hurt after chemical reaction

 GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska. - Five workers at a beef processing plant in Grand Island are recovering after being exposed to dangerous chemicals during an accident that forced part of the plant to be evacuated.

Emergency crews were called to the JBS Swift plant around 10 p.m. Sunday after bleach was mistakenly pumped into a container of acid at the plant.

Grand Island Fire Chief Cory Scmidt says the mixture of chemicals caused a reaction that produced toxic gas.

Part of the plant was evacuated for more than an hour while the ventilation system was used to clear the gas.

Five workers were treated for exposure at a Grand Island hospital Sunday night and released.

Company officials did not immediately respond to messages Monday morning, so it wasn't clear how the incident affected production.